I love following a meal plan. I like knowing exactly what I’m having, it all being set, prepared and ready to go for me in the fridge daily. When I follow a meal plan however, I do miss being able to get creative with my food. I miss looking through my cupboard (and sometimes my roommates cupboards too shhh..) and asking myself “alright, what weird ingredients that I bought on a whim and never actually used could I mix together to create something unreal?” I also love thinking about that one totally not clean dish I would love to have, and find a way to make it clean, vegan, gluten-free and just as delicious. When I follow my meal plans I usually allow myself 1 off-the-plan meal per week. This is not only to have a little treat but also to keep that creative food side alive. What’s even better about this, is that I have all week to plan that one amazing meal. The other week I was thinking about pecan pie. God knows why since I cannot even remember the last time I had pecan pie, but in any case I determined to improvise a pecan pie flavoured banana ice cream. It turned out just as amazing as I had planned, I even made my roommate and his girlfriend try some, and she recently texted me from LA asking for the recipe; #success.
- 1 cup of pecans
- 1 tsp. coconut oil
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 2-4 tbsp. water
- 1 tbsp. maple syrup
- 3 frozen bananas
- 2 dates
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract or paste from 1 vanilla bean
- ½ soy milk (any milk is fine)
- ½ cup water
- 1 tbsp. date syrup
- Mix pecans, coconut oil and cinnamon, spread on a baking sheet and put in the oven.
- Once roasted (watch carefully, they can burn quickly), put in food processor or bullet blender with 2-4 tbsp. water and maple syrup and blend until a pecan “cream” is formed.
- Put pecan “cream” aside and blend bananas, dates, vanilla, milk and water (add less water to make it thicker).
- Add all but 1 tbsp. of pecan “cream” to the banana mixture and blend until ice-cream texture is formed.
- Heat up the remaining tbsp. of pecan “cream” with the date syrup in the microwave or on the stove.
- Serve banana ice-cream in a bowl topped with the warm pecan sauce and add any other topping you fancy (I loved bits of chopped dark chocolate and dried banana)